Subject: Re: bug#26752: Ansible & others' problems with wrapped '.ansible-real' scripts

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 12:04:17 +0200

Jelle Licht <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I had some problems getting current ansible package to work. It seems that
> the bin/ansible script which is created as part of the python-build-system
> via a call to `wrap-program' interferes with certain expectations ansible
> has regarding how it and its subcommands are called.
>
> This mechanism does not work well with our generated created .ansible-real.
> See [1] for a similar issue that has since been worked around in the newest
> version of ansible.
>
> For now, I have a similar workaround that add some guix-specific checks to
> ansible looking for being called as .ansible-real, though I do consider
> this a hack. This problem is indicative of a bigger issue: the fact that
> wrap-program currently leads to subtle bugs for lots of scripts. There has
> been some noise on #guix about solving this problem in general.

For the record, the discussion is visible here:
<https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2017-05-02#T1370586>.

I think it’s bad for a program to rely on argv[0], but I also think
those .thing-real are kinda ugly.  :-)

Ludo’.