Subject: bug#26740: 24.5; emacs won't work if it can't talk to the router

From: d paddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 17:12:20 -0400

If the cable to the router is disconnected then emacs hangs.  This is a
bug because emacs should not be spying on people (phoneing home).

If the developers think it is a feature and not a bug, then please
describe how to stand-alone-emacs -- i.e., how to make emacs work when
the cable is cut so it can't phone home.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
 of 2017-03-30 on blackbox
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:    Gentoo Base System release 2.3

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-24.5-r3
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-24.5-r3/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-24 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-24
 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --without-dbus
 --without-gpm --without-hesiod --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5
 --without-xml2 --without-selinux --with-gnutls --without-wide-int
 --with-zlib --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gif
 --with-jpeg --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm
 --with-imagemagick --without-xft --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=no GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-24.5-r3
 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -march=native' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Quit [3 times]
C-c <mouse-1> is undefined
backward-delete-char: Beginning of buffer
Beginning of buffer
Quit [2 times]
backward-delete-char: Beginning of buffer
Beginning of buffer
Quit [3 times]
Mark set [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils info sh-script smie executable dired-aux
dired help-mode easymenu misearch multi-isearch site-gentoo time-date
tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp
files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
inotify dynamic-setting x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 117779 13508)
 (symbols 48 18964 0)
 (miscs 40 118 550)
 (strings 32 18964 7820)
 (string-bytes 1 572071)
 (vectors 16 16523)
 (vector-slots 8 1116289 193411)
 (floats 8 68 650)
 (intervals 56 12989 115)
 (buffers 960 20)
 (heap 1024 50749 1200))