Subject: Re: Unable to build emacs with Intel compilers

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 00:44:46 -0700

I could not reproduce the problem with the latest GNU Emacs master, compiling on 
Ubuntu 16.04.2 x86-64 using icc (ICC) 17.0.4 20170411. The following simple C 
program:

#include <stddef.h>
max_align_t x;

compiles OK if I use "icc -S foo.c". I suspect that it does not compile with 
your older icc setup (you mention that you're using 17.0.2); could you check this?

I did find a couple of unrelated icc-related glitches in other parts of the 
Emacs master, and just now installed fixes for them. So if you have time, please 
try the latest Emacs master source code, which you can build as follows:

git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
cd emacs
./autogen.sh all
./configure CC=icc
make

For more details see:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/CONTRIBUTE

If the above doesn't work, I suggest upgrading to the latest icc and trying 
again with a fresh copy of the master.