Subject: Re: bug#26730: [PATCH] Fix bzip2 utilities

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 07:08:02 +0100

On 09/05/17 11:18, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:
> 
>> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> The bzip2 package includes wrappers around diff, grep and less/more.
>>> These shell scripts currently include /usr/bin (and sometimes /bin) on
>>> the PATH, and therefore fail if any of the commands that they rely on
>>> cannot be found.
>>>
>>> By substituting /usr/bin (and /bin) for the appropriate package paths,
>>> these scripts work much more reliably.
>>
>> Most of these dependencies are available in environments where the bz*
>> tools will be executed. I think it would be better to simply remove the
>> absolute /usr/bin and /bin references such that grep, sed etc
>> invocations are picked up from PATH instead.
> 
> Agreed.  Otherwise we could end up retaining references to the bootstrap
> Bash and Coreutils, for instance (remember that bzip2 is built early on,
> in (gnu packages commencement)).

Ok, I've sent a couple of updates for the 2nd patch.