Subject: bug#26730: [PATCH] Fix bzip2 utilities

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 12:18:24 +0200

Marius Bakke <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The bzip2 package includes wrappers around diff, grep and less/more.
>> These shell scripts currently include /usr/bin (and sometimes /bin) on
>> the PATH, and therefore fail if any of the commands that they rely on
>> cannot be found.
>>
>> By substituting /usr/bin (and /bin) for the appropriate package paths,
>> these scripts work much more reliably.
>
> Most of these dependencies are available in environments where the bz*
> tools will be executed. I think it would be better to simply remove the
> absolute /usr/bin and /bin references such that grep, sed etc
> invocations are picked up from PATH instead.

Agreed.  Otherwise we could end up retaining references to the bootstrap
Bash and Coreutils, for instance (remember that bzip2 is built early on,
in (gnu packages commencement)).

Ludo’.