Subject: 25.1; url-basic-auth passes wrong argument type to url-auth-user-prompt

From: Sean Allred <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 13:16:20 +0000

Just a small typo, it seems.  In `url-auth.el' at

    (setq user (or
                (url-do-auth-source-search server type :user)
                (read-string (url-auth-user-prompt url realm)   ; <-- here
                             (or user (user-real-login-name))))
          pass (or
                (url-do-auth-source-search server type :secret)
                (read-passwd "Password: " nil (or pass ""))))

`url` should be `href`.

This will prevent a type-mismatch when calling `url-basic-auth` as

    (url-basic-auth "http://my.api.com" t)

The workaround for this bug is calling it as

    (url-basic-auth (url-generic-parse-url "http://my.api.com") t)

This function should be inspected for other such bugs, but this is the
only one I've come across personally.

-Sean

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21 Version
10.9.5 (Build 13F1911))
 of 2016-09-20 built on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

[[cruft/pii removed]]