Subject: bug#26701: 25.1; table-fixed-width-mode broken

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2019 20:51:14 +0200

Forrest Sedgwick <[email-masked]> writes:

> My apologies, it was "table-insert," not "insert-table."  It sets up
> an ASCII table:

Ah, thanks.  I've never used this before...

[...]

>> > 1. emacs -Q
>> > 2. M-x insert-table in the scratch buffer, accept defaults
>> > 3. M-x table-fixed-width-mode
>> > 4. Type a word longer than column width, table automatically expands
>> > instead of breaking word.

I can reproduce the bug in Emacs 27, and looking at the code in
`table--cell-insert-char', it's just not used when inserting a
character -- even if the mode is on, words are never broken.

The code has been substantially rewritten over the years, and my guess
is that one of the rewrites made the code that actually did the
fixed-width-mode went missing, but finding what commit did this is
rather difficult.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no