Subject: bug#26687: add git http support service

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 14:11:39 +0200

Andy Wingo <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Attached pair of patches adds git http "support" to the manual.  I say
> "support" because really what you usually want to do is extend an
> existing nginx server with git support, not make an entirely new
> server.  But right now we can't extend servers, so this support is a bit
> preliminary.  Still, it's better than ad hoc logic in peoples'
> configuration files.

Agreed, that’s a nice addition.

>>>From 80d872ae8362b5e769c463599b03ddb0fb7482d2 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 10:59:44 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH 4/5] doc: Create Version Control Services section.
>
> * doc/guix.texi (Version Control Services): Move to its own node.

OK.

>>>From cb9f33e2a70b304cc5712d8a369dc8db7a8ae95b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2017 15:02:19 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH 5/5] gnu: Add Git HTTP(S) service support.
>
> * doc/guix.texi (Version Control Services): Add documentation on the HTTP
> backend for git.
> * gnu/services/version-control.scm (<git-http-configuration>): New data type.
> (git-http-nginx-location-configuration): New helper function.

[...]

> +The @code{git://} protocol lacks authentication.  When you pull from a
> +repository fetched via @code{git://}, you don't know that the data you
> +receive was modified in transit or not.  It's better to use an

Nitpick: “modified in transit” refers to integrity, not authenticity;
perhaps write “you don’t know that the data you receive is really coming
from the specified host”?

Also maybe “lacks authentication and confidentiality”.

> +(define* (git-http-nginx-location-configuration #:optional
> +                                                (config
> +                                                 (git-http-configuration)))

Perhaps “git-http-configuration->nginx-location”?

OK with changes along these lines!

Eventually we should consider adding tests for the Git services.

Thank you,
Ludo’.