Subject: Re: bug#2667: 23.0.91; Inconsistent fonts

From: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 16:39:56 +0900

In article <[email-masked]>, David Kastrup <[email-masked]> writes:

> If I write something like "Schätzchen" after selecting a Unicode-capable
> font in the font menu (in this case LMSans12), I get on the S

>         character: S (83, #o123, #x53)
[...]
>     xft:-unknown-LMSans12-normal-normal-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x10C)
[...]
> But on the ä I get

>         character: ä (228, #o344, #xe4)
[...]
>     x:-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--15-140-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1 (#xE4)
[...]
> What is wrong here?  Why does it not use the LM font?

I can't reproduce it with the latest code.  Please show me
the result of this:

% emacs -Q
M-x set-default-font RET lmsans12 RET
ESC : (setq font-log nil) RET
ESC : (insert "Schätzchen") RET
M-x font-show-log RET

What I get in *Help* buffer is this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
font for: (228)
list: -unknown-LMSans12-*-iso10646-1
  -unknown-LMSans12-normal-oblique-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
  -unknown-LMSans12-normal-normal-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
sort-by: -*-normal-normal-normal-*-17-*
  xft:-unknown-LMSans12-normal-normal-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
font for: (228)
list: -unknown-LMSans12-normal-*-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
  -unknown-LMSans12-normal-normal-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
  -unknown-LMSans12-normal-oblique-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
sort-by: -*-normal-italic-normal-*-17-*
  xft:-unknown-LMSans12-normal-oblique-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
open: -unknown-LMSans12-normal-oblique-normal-*-0-iso10646-1
  xft:-unknown-LMSans12-normal-oblique-normal-*-17-*-0-iso10646-1
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---
Kenichi Handa
[email-masked]