Subject: Re: bug#26669: [PATCH 1/7] gnu: Add cdrtools.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 14:59:12 +0200

Hi!

Thomas Danckaert <[email-masked]> skribis:

> There is/has been some controversy about the license of cdrtools, with
> claims it cannot be distributed in binary form because it mixes CDDL
> and GPL code.  As far as I understand, mkisofs is GPL, while the other
> executables are CDDL, and I do not really see the problem.  If others
> disagree, or we want to be extra careful, I suppose we can disable
> substitutes for cdrtools, so we only distribute it as source?

We could do that if needed.  From your description it’s not clear to me
either what the problem is though.  It’s a case where I would recommend
checking <https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Software_blacklist> (apparently
there’s nothing about it) or Debian.  :-)

> cdrtools also bundles a forked LGPL-licensed copy of cdparanoia.  This
> is perhaps unfortunate, but I don't think it's easy to unbundle it
> (cdrtools doesn't build agains our current cdparanoia).

Just leave an XXX explaining this.

A couple of comments to complement what Mathieu wrote:

>>>From 96fb5484e4a4d741da685ce63f578feb69bc016f Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: Thomas Danckaert <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 15:54:20 +0200
> Subject: [PATCH 1/7] gnu: Add cdrtools.
>
> * gnu/packages/cdrom.scm (cdrtools): New variable.
> * gnu/packages/patches/cdrtools-3.01-mkisofs-isoinfo.patch: New file.
> * gnu/local.mk (dist_patch_DATA): Add it.

[...]

> +   (inputs
> +    `(("linux-headers" ,linux-libre-headers)))
> +   (native-inputs
> +    `(("coreutils" ,coreutils)))

These are implicit inputs already so you can remove them.

> +++ b/gnu/packages/patches/cdrtools-3.01-mkisofs-isoinfo.patch
> @@ -0,0 +1,514 @@
> +Patch for version 3.01, taken from upstream at
> +https://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrtools/files/cdrtools-3.01-fix-20151126-mkisofs-isoinfo.patch

It would be nice to add a few words about what it does, like “Fix
compilation with recent glibc” or something.

Ludo’.