Subject: Re: bug#26668: 11.90.2; separator in the toolbar remains vertical when I display toolbar on the left or right

From: Sureyya Sahin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 14:28:58 -0400

On Sat, 2017-04-29 at 07:34 +0200, Arash Esbati wrote:
> Sureyya Sahin <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Yes, I installed auctex locally from the emacs repositories; the auctex
> > package does not specify the repository (I have melpa, elpa and a python
> > repository enabled), so I am assuming it is from elpa.
> 
> Yes, it is ELPA then.
> 
> > I use the splash screen as the default buffer; from the splash screen
> > buffer, I can switch to auctex by issuing "M-x latex-mode" command
> > without having to open a new file or buffer. Actually, that is how I
> > took the screenshot.
> 
> Ok, understood.  That answers my question, thanks.
> 
> > Yes, I do have code for auctex in my ".emacs" file. I am not sure if
> > this would be related to the toolbar not behaving properly in the
> > vertical layout, but I can show my ".emacs" file if you feel you need to
> > see it.
> 
> No, not necessary after the clarification above with `M-x latex-mode'.
> Just make sure you don't have this line in your .emacs:
> 
>     (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> 
> You can try this: Do `M-x customize-variable TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons RET',
> deselect `[separator nil]', save your changes, restart Emacs and try it
> again.
> 
> Best, Arash

Ok, I checked my ".emacs" file again to ensure I don' the line 

(load "auctex.el" nil t t).

Then, I restarted emacs, enabled the tool-bar-mode and switched to
latex-mode. Then, I issued the `M-x customize-variable
TeX-bar-LaTeX-buttons RET', but it gave me the error for not being able
to find the command.

I experimented a bit and figured the following works:

'M-x customize-variable RET TeX-bar-TeX-buttons RET'

Then, I deselected the `[separator nil]' thick box as you suggested and
then I pressed 'Apply and Save' button. Restarting the emacs with
latex-mode and enabling tool-bar-mode (I disable it by default to gain
screen space), I can confirm that the vertical separator button has
gone.

I guess this is the workaround I was hoping to find; thank you so much
for the help, I appreciate this.

Best,
Sureyya