Subject: bug#26661: compile, shell etc. should use bash-completion !

From: Kévin Le Gouguec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 07:31:49 +0100

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

>> https://github.com/szermatt/emacs-bash-completion/issues/45#issuecomment-706671531
>
> I found the comment on that page interesting:
>
>    I have to say that I personally find bash-completion a bit hackish
>    and fragile (by nature) to be something that'd come as part of
>    standard Emacs, but that's something for Emacs maintainers to decide.
>
> So perhaps this should better be part of GNU ELPA for users that want
> it as optional behavior.

I'd be interested in knowing what makes bash-completion inherently more
hackish and fragile than say, python.el's native completion?  AFAICT
both essentially use a dedicated buffer to send completion queries to an
inferior process.

I may not have been thorough enough when reading either library's code
though, so maybe I missed something.