Subject: Re: bug#26660: 11.90.2; unable to generate preview

From: Sureyya Sahin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 08:59:27 -0400

On Wed, 2017-04-26 at 11:40 +0200, Arash Esbati wrote:
> Sureyya Sahin <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I am not able to preview mathematical equation in preview latex.
> >
> > Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.13)
> >  of 2017-04-23
> > Package: 11.90.2
> 
> > TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Tue Apr 25 18:45:05
> > Running `Preview-PDF2DSC' with ``pdf2dsc _region_.pdf _region_.prv/tmp25150AkS/preview.dsc''
> > Error: /invalidaccess in --.locksafe--
> > [...]
> > GPL Ghostscript 9.07: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
> >
> > Preview-PDF2DSC exited abnormally with code 1 at Tue Apr 25 18:45:05
> > Running `Preview-Ghostscript' with ``/home/ssahin/.local/texlive/2016/bin/x86_64-linux/rungs -dOutputFile\=\(_region_.prv/tmp25150AkS/pr1-\%d.png\) -q -dNOPAUSE -DNOPLATFONTS -dPrinted -dTextAlphaBits\=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits\=4 -sDEVICE\=png16m -r115.334x115.313''
> > Ghostscript filter: Args out of range: [(1 0)], 3
> 
> Hi Sureyya,
> 
> I'm not on Centos, but I suspect your Ghostscript is too old (GPL
> Ghostscript 9.07 (2013-02-14)).  I vaguely remember issues with this
> version back then.  Do you have a chance to update to version 9.21
> (2017-03-16) and try it again?
> 
> Best, Arash

I can't remove or upgrade my whole system to ghostscript version 9.21 as
it seems there are a number of packages compiled against version 9.07 in
centos 7. I need to either remove all of them or recompile them myself,
which I don't want to. 

So, I tried downloading the ghostscript version 9.21 binary and move it
to my local bin directory. When I launch the ghostscript from command
line, it seems to be version 9.21 indeed. However, when I try to compile
a latex document, emacs freeze now. Additionally, if I want to generate
previews, I realize auctex is still using the version 9.07, against
which I compiled the emacs program. How can I set up emacs to use the
precompiled ghostscript 9.21 binary available in my home directory?

I know other threads from google, which report similar problems;
however, they were claiming that the problem was solved with recent
auctex versions.