Subject: 26.0.50; Request to add an option to make emacs not care if input is not coming from tty

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 14:22:55 +0000

Hello,

I have a bash script eless ( https://github.com/kaushalmodi/eless ) that I
would like to use to replace 'less' use cases.

I would like to do something like:

    echo "foo" | emacs -Q -nw

If I try to do that at the moment, I get

    emacs: standard input is not a tty

So this is a feature request to make emacs ignore if standard input is
coming in through another process and not tty. The eless script saves the
input from pipe to a temp file and opens that in "emacs -Q -nw" by default.
So emacs does not need addition of a feature to read directly from STDIN
(as the bash wrapper does it for me).

I have noticed that emacsclient does not care if input is not coming from
tty. So this bug report is to request emacs to behave the same way.

I am calling this a feature request because I see this behavior at least
from emacs 24.3 onwards.
-- 

Kaushal Modi