Subject: [bug#26645] Potluck still relivant

From: Brice Waegeneire <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2020 16:11:11 +0000

Hello Jack,

On 2020-03-18 20:03, Jack Hill wrote:
> Hi Guix,
> 
> I was looking through some old issue, and wondering if potluck is
> still relevant now that we have channels.

Reading through the initial email[0] by Andy the potlock feature seems
to be way more extensive than channels: it allows one to create simple
packages in an interactive manner and centralize the discoverability of
such packages. Channels provide us a way to create package outise of
Guix proper but finding channels containing the package you are looking
for is still an unsolved problem.

He even write the following:
> So, remaining tasks to do:
> [...]
> (3) Someone needs to design and implement a "guix channel" facility to
>     take advantage of this branch :)  Until then, GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH
>     and the -L argument are the things to use.

> Shall we close this issue?

Having an answer form Andy or Ludovic on this front you be great.

[0]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-04/msg00250.html

- Brice