Subject: [Lars Ingebrigtsen] Re: bug#26634: 26.0.50; The network security manager doesn't understand IDNA domains

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 13:35:48 +0200

-------------------- Start of forwarded message --------------------
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: bug#26634: 26.0.50; The network security manager doesn't understand IDNA domains
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 13:04:44 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:

> Suggestion: what if we used IDNA and highlighting if multiple scripts
> are mixed in any segment of the DNS path (a "word" in the syntax)? And a
> tooltip explaining the problem? That would make it clear to the user.

You mean in the eww title bar?  Yes, that would make sense...

> It would also be potentially beneficial in Dired and prog-mode. Here I
> would again flag any mixed scripts in a word.

Hm...  well, the security implications of having a mixed-script file
name are different from mixed-script domain names.  

> The same approach might be nice in `list-packages' in case someone
> malicious pushes out packages with confusables in the name. Here the
> check would flag anything non-ASCII.

That does sound useful.

> WDYT? A minor mode? Or maybe it exists already?

Not that I know of.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no
-------------------- End of forwarded message --------------------