Subject: Re: bug#26632: TAI<->UTC conversion botches 1961 to 1971

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 14:11:42 -0400

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 1:58 AM Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This has to be examined somewhat indirectly, because SRFI-19 doesn't offer
> > any way to display a TAI time in its conventional form as a date-like
> > structure, nor to input a TAI time from such a structure.
>

I think that is as it should be.  TAI time is a count of SI seconds from a
particular instant in time.  It is not divided up into minutes, hours,
days, months, years, etc. I realize that this is often done, but I believe
it to be not actually meaningful.  These terms apply to dynamical time and
also in a slightly different way to UTC, but they have little meaning for
TAI.

-- 
John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        [email-masked]
    "Mr. Lane, if you ever wish anything that I can do, all you will have
        to do will be to send me a telegram asking and it will be done."
    "Mr. Hearst, if you ever get a telegram from me asking you to do
        anything, you can put the telegram down as a forgery."