Subject: Re: bug#26624: 26.0.50; Generalized variable `buffer-local-value' does't restore local flag

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 15:33:38 +0100

Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thanks for this great analysis. Given this, it seems that the place
> definition for `buffer-local-value' should be removed from gv.el.

But hmm - surely there are other functions where `cl-letf' doesn't
exactly restore the previous state - `alist-get', for example:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(setq my-alist '((x . 1)))
(ignore (cl-letf (((alist-get 'y my-alist) 17)) my-alist))
my-alist
==> ((y) (x . 1))
#+end_src

(admittedly, this is not as serious as the `buffer-local-value' case).
Also, as another, different problematic case, the manual warns about
`point' to be used with `cl-letf'.

So, I wonder if, instead of removing the gv-setter definition for
`buffer-local-value', we should instead add some more text about how
`cl-letf' can have surprising effects to the manual.

Michael.