Subject: bug#26624: 26.0.50; Generalized variable `buffer-local-value' does't restore local flag

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 23:19:33 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> >  I agree. Removing some feature without due warning is not something
> >  we should do, except in very rare cases (which this one isn't).
> > 
> > I fully agree, but I don't know how to correctly deprecate a
> > generalized variable. Should I add code to the byte
> > compiler to deal with this case explicitly? 
>
> If no other idea comes up, yes, I think so.

I guess it's not really worth the time to implement an infrastructure
for gv-expander obsoletion, because we will probably make use of it only
every 150 years (estimation).  So it could be that nobody wants to do
this for quite a while.

Would it be acceptable if the gv setter of `buffer-local-value' would
just print a warning (i.e., solve it "by hand")?  Not perfect, admitted,
but still much better than leaving this unfixed.

Thanks,

Michael.