Subject: Re: bug#26621: hint for translators is missing from POT file, but is opaque anyhow

From: Benno Schulenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 21:57:08 +0200

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017, at 09:38, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > It would be nicer to use a fixed number of
> > decimals so that the message doesn't unnecessarily "jump".
> 
> Yes, and since the messages you're talking about are supposed to come out once a 
> second, dd should just omit everything after the decimal point.

Well, in the past week I have been writing several ISO images
to a USB stick, and dd's progress messages first come out at
about 1.1 second intervals, then slow down to about every four
or five seconds, and after about a minute start to arrive again
at close to every 1.0 seconds.

(Also, when dd is done copying records, the USB stick isn't
ready yet: it continuous blinking for nearly a minute, but dd
sits there as if nothing is happening.  I don't know if this is
feasible, but it would be nice if dd would continue to count up
the seconds, and slowly reduce the transfer rate.)

> Thanks for your other comments. I installed the attached patch, which I hope 
> addresses them.

Okay.  If I understand the new comment well, I would have written:

/* TRANSLATORS: The translations of the next three msgids should
be of ascending length.  That is: each subsequent msgstr should be
longer than the preceding one. */

Benno

-- 
http://www.fastmail.com - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again