Subject: Re: bug#26612: 25.2; find-file.el -vs- project.el

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 23:59:41 +0300

On 8/6/17 3:41 AM, Tom Tromey wrote:

> Dmitry> What would that command be called, though? And what generic
> Dmitry> function(s) on projects will we need to add?
> 
> The plain function is ff-find-other-file, so maybe
> project-ff-find-other-file?

"ff" meaning "find file"? Not a very semantic name, I'd say.

> Dmitry> So maybe do a search inside project-file-completion-table, for a file
> Dmitry> name matching the current (but with swapped extension)?
> 
> That would work fine, at least as a first draft.

Great!

> As an aside, why are EDE and project.el separate things?

1. Written by different people at different times (naturally).

2. project.el is an API with a sample (ish) implementation based on VC. 
The idea is that core Emacs code (like commands we have in project.el) 
can rely on it, and then a third-party implementation like Projectile 
can define an adapter "project.el backend", and then the said Emacs 
commands will automatically use Projectile (its config files, efficient 
file cache, etc) when the user has Projectile installed. Same for EDE 
users, and we include such adapter already.

We want to improve the VC-backend project backend too, though.

3. For dependencies purposes: Projectile users won't want to load EDE.