Subject: Re: bug#26604: documentation: pdf generation is broken

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 12:04:42 +0200

zimoun <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Ricardo,
>
> On Mon, 03 May 2021 at 16:06, Ricardo Wurmus 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Shall we close this now?
>
> Personally, I am still puzzled to build PDFs of the 
> documentation, even
> on core-updates, though I have not followed the recent updates 
> on
> master.  Maybe I am doing wrong but I still get some errors, as 
> reported
> in late messages of the thread [1].  Basically, it ends with:
>
>   guix environment -C guix --ad-hoc …wizard stuff…
>   …
>   make pdf
>   …wizard stuff…
>
> I should still miss something.

At least the first “wizard stuff” is merely a list of packages. 
There isn’t anything we can do to avoid the selection of packages, 
because that stuff is modular by design.  We could have an 
arbitrary collection of Texlive packages, but I’m sure we can’t 
agree on any good set because what exactly is needed depends on 
the document.

It’s like creating an arbitrary set of R packages that should work 
well for any number of projects.

If the problem is in figuring out what Texlive packages to install 
for generating the Guix manual: we can either document that or add 
the required packages to the inputs.

If you still get errors relating to fonts or font maps: this has 
been fixed on the “master” branch; the texlive-configuration 
profile hook didn’t update the font maps.

-- 
Ricardo