Subject: bug#26599: patch for mwheel.el

From: Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2020 14:46:20 +0900

Dear Stefan,

Before discussions about hook, I want to insist again that on 2D mouse
browsing and on keyboard editing, auto-hscroll-mode should be set to
nil and non-nil, respectively.  Otherwise 2D scroll by mwheel is not
helpful.

Eli inferred Emacs does not prefer to respond differently to different
input devices.  That makes sense too.

How do you think about user experience on 2D scrolling with (setq
mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll t) or typing with (setq
mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll nil)?

 emacs -Q
 M-x eww
 www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu.html
 M-: (set-window-hscroll (selected-window) 50)
 M-: (setq mouse-wheel-tilt-scroll t)
 2D scrolling by mwheel --> Soon scope moves to left.
 M-: (setq auto-hscroll-mode nil)
 2D scrolling by mwheel ... good
 Move point using keyboard ... Scope never changes.

Tak