Subject: Re: bug#26599: patch for mwheel.el

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 10:46:36 +0100

Hi Tak,

Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]> writes:

> I wanted to set auto-hscroll-mode to nil, only during 2D scroll
> (hscroll-and-vscroll mixed one) using mouse.  Since 2D scroll is
> unusable when auto-hscroll-mode is t, I thought what I wanted was
> implicit voice of all mouse lovers...apparently was not.
>
> I'm good without the hook nor ELPA.

Thank you for your reply.

Please don't interpret the long response times here as a sign that
your package is not welcome.  I think we are all in favour of
improving mouse and/or trackpad support in Emacs, something which
would clearly benefit a significant subset of users.  Unfortunately,
we often have the problem that we lack the necessary resources to
follow up on all bug reports in a timely manner.

I think we should try to make progress here, and get your package into
ELPA, in order that people can start using it.

To move this ahead, if I understand things correctly, there is only
one important question left to resolve, namely that of a hook in
mwheel.el.  Reading your code, I see that you have two commented out
lines running the hook `mwheel-pre-scroll-hook'.  Could you please
provide a patch or instructions for where to add this hook in
mwheel.el?

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas