Subject: Re: bug#2659: 23.0.91; set-face-attribute :height float on a Mac

From: Alex Schröder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:22:30 +0100

Ah. I misunderstood the doc string, then. Can we improve the docstring
and find another way to say "underlying face"? The word underlying
doesn't appear in the Elisp manual index. When I read your answer I
thought that underlying faces are the faces are the faces I inherit
from. But when I look at (elisp) Face Attributes I see the following:

`:inherit'
     The name of a face from which to inherit attributes, or a list of
     face names.  Attributes from inherited faces are merged into the
     face like an underlying face would be, with higher priority than
     underlying faces.  If a list of faces is used, attributes from
     faces earlier in the list override those from later faces.

Apparently there is a difference between inheritance and underlying
that I don't understand.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 17:08, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid default face height" 1.1)
>
> This says that you can't specify "1.1 times the underlying face" because
> the default face as no underlying face.
>
>
>        Stefan
>