Subject: 25.1; emacs 25.1 crashes while I am killing a bunch of lines

From: "ISHIKAWA,chiaki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 11:57:02 +0900

Emacs 25.1.1 (locally compiled under Debian GNU/linux) crashed a few  
times in the
last few weeks  while I did a series of killing lines
while editing a text file.

Here is the recent stacktrace. I was editing a file with a name ending
in ".sh" suffix.
I followed the explanation in
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Crashing.html
to produce symbolic dump after seeing a numeric backtrace.

[I am a little surprised to see "stack_overflow" below.]

Decoded stacktrace:

sed -n 's/.*\[\(.*\)]$/\1/p' /tmp/t.out |
   addr2line -C -f -i -p -e ~/repos/emacs-25.1/src/emacs
 > emacs_backtrace at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/sysdep.c:2234
terminate_due_to_signal at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/emacs.c:375
handle_fatal_signal at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/sysdep.c:1601
deliver_thread_signal.constprop.6 at  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/sysdep.c:1575
stack_overflow at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/sysdep.c:1673
  (inlined by) handle_sigsegv at  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/sysdep.c:1691
?? ??:0
re_search_2 at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/regex.c:4464
search_buffer at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/search.c:1270
search_command at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/search.c:1066
Fre_search_forward at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/search.c:2265
Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2707
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
funcall_lambda at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2927
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
funcall_lambda at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2927
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
funcall_lambda at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2927
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
run_hook_wrapped_funcall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2429
run_hook_with_args at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2509
Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2673
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
exec_byte_code at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/bytecode.c:880
backtrace_debug_on_exit at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:154
  (inlined by) Ffuncall at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:2766
internal_condition_case_n at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/eval.c:1391
safe__call at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/xdisp.c:2560
safe_call at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/xdisp.c:2577
XCDR at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/lisp.h:1230
  (inlined by) handle_fontified_prop at  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/xdisp.c:3784
handle_stop at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/xdisp.c:3373
next_element_from_buffer at /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/src/xdisp.c:8323
ishikawa@ip030:/home/ishikawa/Dropbox/PC-DIR/DELL-T5610-DIR$

Here is my environment produced by

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.5)
  of 2017-01-07 built on ip030
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 9.0 (stretch)

Configured using:
  'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk --without-xim'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY LIBSELINUX
LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=kinput2
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   global-whitespace-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Quit
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
<<< Type SPC or RET to bury the buffer list >>>
Mark set
Mark activated
Mark set
Saved text from "sed -n 's/.*\[\(.*\)]$/\1/p' /tmp/t.out "
Composing main Info directory...done
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
<<< Type SPC or RET to bury the buffer list >>> [2 times]
user-error: No cross-references in this node [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-pcomplete hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-keys hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-timer hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-mhe hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-colview hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-clock hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-element hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-element
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-lilypond hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-ref hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-css hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-matlab hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-inlinetask hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-mobile hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-gnuplot hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-maxima hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-bibtex hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-python hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-archive hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-indent hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-w3m hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-sqlite hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-ctags hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-macs hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-fortran hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-table hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-table
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-io hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-octave hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-picolisp hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-eval hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-calc hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-docview hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-mouse hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-compat hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-C hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-haskell hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-info hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-info
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-dot hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-src hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-src
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-datetree hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-sass hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-scala hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-tangle hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-table hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-org hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-irc hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-bbdb hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-plot hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-loaddefs hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-capture hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-ditaa hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-ocaml hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-plantuml hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-feed hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-awk hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-latex hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-list hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-list
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-habit hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-sh hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-sh
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-faces hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-scheme hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-attach hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-install hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-install
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-agenda hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-clojure hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-mscgen hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-screen hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-eshell hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-gnus hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob hides /home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-footnote hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-R hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-exp hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-id hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-id
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-emacs-lisp hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-java hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-crypt hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-protocol hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-lisp hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-asymptote hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-lob hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-sql hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-ledger hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-shen hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-ruby hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-js hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-entities hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-perl hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/ob-comint hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-rmail hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/ishikawa/bin/org/org-version hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/org/org-version
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/egg/its/thai hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/language/thai
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/egg/its/greek hides  
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/language/greek
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/textmodes/ispell hides  
/home/ishikawa/bin/ispell
/home/ishikawa/.emacs.d/elpa/japanese-holidays-20160927.2318/japanese-holidays  
hides /home/ishikawa/bin/japanese-holidays
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/tempo hides /home/ishikawa/bin/tempo
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/whitespace hides  
/home/ishikawa/bin/whitespace
/home/ishikawa/repos/emacs-25.1/lisp/obsolete/spell hides  
/home/ishikawa/bin/spell
/home/ishikawa/.emacs.d/elpa/igrep-20130824.507/igrep hides  
/home/ishikawa/bin/igrep

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings jka-compr info shell pcomplete comint
ring dired-aux edmacro kmacro misearch multi-isearch ebuff-menu
sh-script smie executable ansi-color disp-table whitespace finder-inf
package seq ffap thingatpt url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv url-vars
its/hira egg egg-com egg-cnv egg-mlh menudiag its its-keydef egg-edep
server rmail emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils lpr autoinsert time-date mule-util
japan-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 249593 32008)
  (symbols 48 29776 0)
  (miscs 40 557 916)
  (strings 32 56014 11814)
  (string-bytes 1 1456223)
  (vectors 16 35572)
  (vector-slots 8 1386296 177122)
  (floats 8 238 604)
  (intervals 56 9019 118)
  (buffers 976 30))