Subject: bug#26573: 25.1; emacs 25.1 crashes while I am killing a bunch of lines

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 08:07:14 -0400

"ISHIKAWA,chiaki" <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 2017/06/25 7:45, [email-masked] wrote:
>> "ISHIKAWA,chiaki" <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> These problems with the allocater have actually been triggered by a
>> glibc change.  The malloc hooks were dropped which forces Emacs to use a
>> different configuration that had not been widely tested for a long time,
>> so meanwhile bugs had crept in.
>>
>
> So a different reason. I came to my pet conclusion too fast.
>
> I suspect that "configure" is a very difficult code to write correctly.

Well, the "configure" code itself is okay, it's more a question of
testing all the different configurations.  What is really difficult,
pretty much impossible, is writing code correctly without ever testing
it.  Plus, I think most people working on Emacs were not even aware of
the ralloc configuration, so they couldn't know about the possibility of
bugs from it.

> Again, thank you for your e-mails.
>
> Emacs has been maintained in good condition by people like you.
>
> So thank you very much!

Testing and reporting bugs is also important to maintaining Emacs, so
thanks to you as well!

I should mention also that this stuff is solved in Emacs 26 (not yet
released), so that the standard allocater will be used once more and
there won't be a need for ralloc.
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22086