Subject: bug#26559: [PATCH] build: emacs: Install only a subset of files.

From: Alex Kost <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2017 13:10:03 +0300

Arun Isaac (2017-04-26 19:50 +0530) wrote:

> In the new patchset, I have cleaned up and removed some of the regexps,
> as you suggested. I have also rewritten the logic using `find-files'
> rather than with `ftw'.

Great, thanks!

>> Note, however, that 'move-doc' procedure should be adjusted to find
>> info in "doc" subdir (for "doc/*.info$" regex).
>
> I don't think the `move-doc' phase needs to be changed. It finds .info
> files with `find-files' which is recursive.

Oh, right.

>> It doesn't look right that these regexps are duplicated in 2 places.
>> I'm not very familiar with build systems, but what if the
>> 'include'/'exclude' arguments of 'install' procedure would simply be
>> empty lists?  I think it wouldn't do harm if you leave these regexps
>> only in 'emacs-build' procedure or would it?
>
> I am not too familiar with build systems, but I think the
> include/exclude arguments need to be duplicated in two places. For
> example, look at arguments #:strip-flags and #:strip-directories in the
> `strip' phase of the gnu-build-system. Even there, the default values of
> the arguments are repeated in two places.

Hm, ok, although I still think that these arguments are not needed to be
duplicated in 'install' procedure, but I'm not the one to judge about it.

>> I think it would be too much work.  I quickly looked at the emacs
>> packages, and I believe that only slime, auctex and yasnippet need to be
>> adjusted to include non-standard files.  Of course, there may be other
>> packages that I'm not aware of, but they can be fixed later.
>
> I've provided patches for emacs-slime and emacs-auctex packages as
> well. I believe I got all the required files, but please check.

I personally don't use these packages, but I think they should be OK
now, thank you!

> As it stands, emacs-yasnippet does not seem to need any changes. But, I
> think the package is already broken. It needs a snippets directory
> pulled from a git submodule.

Oh, right; last time I checked "yasnippet" (several years ago) this
"snippets" directory was a part of the repo.

> And, even the current package does not pull
> this submodule. So, I believe the yasnippet package is already
> broken. But, I don't use yasnippet, and I'm not too sure.

Yeah, you are probably right, without snippets, yasnippet is… well,
let's say limited.  But let's leave this problem for those who use
yasnippet :-)

Thank you for this work!  I hope someone else will look at this thread
and will say "OK".  As for me, I don't have any further comments and I
think it is ready to be committed.  In the worst case there would be a
couple of broken emacs packages but they could be easily fixed.

-- 
Alex