Subject: bug#26558: closed (Re: bug#26558: Opening URLs with xdg-open fails (eg. Gajim, Pumpa))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 23:01:02 +0000

Your bug report

#26558: Opening URLs with xdg-open fails (eg. Gajim, Pumpa)

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
26558: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26558
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#26558: Opening URLs with xdg-open fails (eg. Gajim, Pumpa)
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>, Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 01:00:28 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 22/04/17 20:31, Marius Bakke wrote:
>
>> Ben: Can you confirm whether the latest xdg-utils work for you? It's in
>> 'master' now so you should get it after a `guix pull` and update.
>
> Thanks Marius, working beautifully now!

Yay, thanks for confirming! Closing this bug. :-)

Subject: Opening URLs with xdg-open fails (eg. Gajim, Pumpa)
From: Ben Sturmfels <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:28:36 +1000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Folks,

When I click an embedded URL within Gajim or Pumpa, I'm expecting a
browser window to pop up, but nothing happens and I get an error on the
command line:

  /home/ben/.guix-profile/bin/xdg-open: line 341: gnome-open: command
  not found

The same error shows up if you attempt try the URL with xdg-open
directly:

  $ xdg-open https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/
  /home/ben/.guix-profile/bin/xdg-open: line 341: gnome-open: command not
  found

As this message suggests, "gnome-open" is hard-coded into the "xdg-open"
script on line 341.

In Trisquel 7 and Debian Unstable the "gnome-open" executable is
included in the "libgnome2-bin" package, which I gather is deprecated.
Some quick searching around suggests that "gvfs-open" might be the the
appropriate replacement for "gnome-open":

  https://askubuntu.com/questions/101965/what-is-the-replacement-for-gnome-open-in-gnome
  https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/RemoveGnomeOpenGnomeHelp?highlight=%28gnome-open%29
  https://wiki.gnome.org/Attic/LibgnomeMustDie?highlight=%28gnome-open%29

I assume that means either:

  a. packaging the deprecated gnome-open,
  b. modifying xdg-open to use gvfs-open instead of gnome-open, or
  c. in Gajim's case, possibly using "gtk_show_uri"?

Cheers,
Ben