Subject: bug#26538: [PATCH 0/1] gnu: Add youtube-dl-gui.

From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:30:43 -0700

Hi,

This patch adds youtube-dl-gui.  I've confirmed that it works on
GuixSD and a foreign distro.  I've confirmed that downloading a video
in the default format works, and I've confirmed that converting the
video to an audio-only MP3 file works, too.  I didn't exhaustively
test all combinations of the various options, but the program seems to
be working well enough.

There was one minor issue that really bugged me which I couldn't
figure out.  It only happens when running youtube-dl-gui on a foreign
distro - Ubuntu, to be exact.  The issue is this: when downloading a
video that contains Japanese characters in the title [1], the title of
the video displayed in the youtube-dl-gui application contains boxes
instead of Japanese characters.  These boxes contain hexadecimal
values, which I suppose are the Unicode code points for the Japanese
characters.  It's as if youtube-dl-gui (or one of its dependencies)
failed to find a Japanese font.  In any case, once the file has been
saved to the local file system, other applications (e.g., Ubuntu's
file browser) display the Japanese characters in the file name
correctly.

This only happens on a foreign distro.  In GuixSD, youtube-dl-gui
displays the Japanese characters correctly.  To fix the issue, I tried
installing Japanese fonts to Ubuntu via apt-get.  I tried installing
Japanese fonts into my Guix profile.  Nothing worked; youtube-dl-gui
continued to display boxes instead of Japanese characters.  If anybody
has any ideas for how to fix this, please let me know.

[1] Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xGqY5IDBE

Chris Marusich (1):
  gnu: Add youtube-dl-gui.

 gnu/packages/video.scm | 88 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 88 insertions(+)

-- 
2.12.0