Subject: bug#26538: closed (Re: bug#26538: [PATCH 1/1] gnu: Add youtube-dl-gui.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 19:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#26538: [PATCH 0/1] gnu: Add youtube-dl-gui.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
26538: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26538
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#26538: [PATCH 1/1] gnu: Add youtube-dl-gui.
From: Leo Famulari <[email-masked]>
To: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 15:47:31 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Sun, Apr 16, 2017 at 06:39:28PM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
> * gnu/packages/video.scm (youtube-dl-gui): New variable.

Thanks! I pushed as 794223bc776aeaf94da2d5b5f330c71fc404b238 with the
following changes:

> +       (uri (string-append "https://github.com/MrS0m30n3/youtube-dl-gui/archive/"
> +                           version
> +                           ".tar.gz"))
> +       (file-name (string-append name "-" version ".tar.gz"))
> +       (sha256 (base32 "1kaq3nrr7l52s9lvrqqywsk8yd6f2lciwj1hd40h8hs4463yrrqc"))))

It fetches the source from PyPi.

> +       #:phases (modify-phases %standard-phases
> +                  (add-before 'build 'patch-source
> +                              (lambda* (#:key inputs #:allow-other-keys)

I adjusted the indentation to be less severe! :)

> +     "Youtube-dlG is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) for
> +@command{youtube-dl}.  You can use it to download videos from YouTube and any
> +other sites that youtube-dl supports.")

s/sites/site

Subject: [PATCH 0/1] gnu: Add youtube-dl-gui.
From: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Chris Marusich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:30:43 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

This patch adds youtube-dl-gui.  I've confirmed that it works on
GuixSD and a foreign distro.  I've confirmed that downloading a video
in the default format works, and I've confirmed that converting the
video to an audio-only MP3 file works, too.  I didn't exhaustively
test all combinations of the various options, but the program seems to
be working well enough.

There was one minor issue that really bugged me which I couldn't
figure out.  It only happens when running youtube-dl-gui on a foreign
distro - Ubuntu, to be exact.  The issue is this: when downloading a
video that contains Japanese characters in the title [1], the title of
the video displayed in the youtube-dl-gui application contains boxes
instead of Japanese characters.  These boxes contain hexadecimal
values, which I suppose are the Unicode code points for the Japanese
characters.  It's as if youtube-dl-gui (or one of its dependencies)
failed to find a Japanese font.  In any case, once the file has been
saved to the local file system, other applications (e.g., Ubuntu's
file browser) display the Japanese characters in the file name
correctly.

This only happens on a foreign distro.  In GuixSD, youtube-dl-gui
displays the Japanese characters correctly.  To fix the issue, I tried
installing Japanese fonts to Ubuntu via apt-get.  I tried installing
Japanese fonts into my Guix profile.  Nothing worked; youtube-dl-gui
continued to display boxes instead of Japanese characters.  If anybody
has any ideas for how to fix this, please let me know.

[1] Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4xGqY5IDBE

Chris Marusich (1):
  gnu: Add youtube-dl-gui.

 gnu/packages/video.scm | 88 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 88 insertions(+)

-- 
2.12.0