Subject: bug#26537: closed (Re: bug#26537: Problems with Emacs frame (GTK))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 17:28:03 +0000

Your bug report

#26537: Problems with Emacs frame (GTK)

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
26537: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26537
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#26537: Problems with Emacs frame (GTK)
From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
To: Angelo Graziosi <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 19:27:16 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

 > Indeed! Thanks for clarification... Maybe now this can be closed.

Done, martin

Subject: Problems with Emacs frame (GTK)
From: Angelo Graziosi <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2017 23:52:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

In recent GTK builds of Emacs master I have issues with the frame with 
on GNU/Linux Mint 18.1 64bit.

I had installed the sr-speedbar package from MELPA and configured Emacs 
so that it opens a frame with a window for text of about 80 characters 
and a sr-speedbar window of about 30 characters (see the init.el file in 
the attachment, 80+30 = 110).

This worked fine (more or less) up to the builds I did on March 10 and 
27 but not with the builds I did on April 14 an 16 (today).

More precisely...

Start Emacs-2017-03-10 [1] without desktop file. The result is in 
screen-no-desktop.png, and don't looks ok to me. Anyway, now visit a 
file. For example

   C-x C-f ~/report_bug.txt

and quit Emacs saving the desktop. Restart Emacs. It looks as expected 
(screen-with-desktop-OK.png)

   window      width 79 characters (from column 0 to 78)
   sr-speedbar width 27 characters

Repeat with Emacs-2017-03-27 [2]. Same results.

Now try with Emacs-2017-04-14 [3] or 2017-04-16 [4]. It doesn't look as 
expected (screen-with-desktop-NOT_OK.png)

   window      width 68 characters (from column 0 to 67)
   sr-speedbar width 38 characters

(Notice: 79+27 = 68+38 = 106). Whatever I try, the frame does not 
respect what is written in the init file.

Notice this problem occurs only with the (GTK) builds on GNU/Linux. It 
works as expected with Windows and OSX builds.

Ciao,
  Angelo.

-----
[1] 996fcc74a431e6db819dae1cfbc90ffdc15a222f
[2] 8ce827426e5400f2be80ae5d7394b74d8dd90373
[3] fc05d4fec98387097c30a5c60e2f343cb797af26
[4] 8d96feae07c618f591a952f8f10ae949735b4050