Subject: Re: bug#26508: another patch for efaq-w32.texi

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 10:37:30 +0300

> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 13:43:52 +0900 (JST)
> From: Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I think the most appropriate directory to start with by C-x C-f is,
> %HOME% directory.

Why do you think so?

One use case where this could get in the way is if the user uses the
Desktop library to recreate their sessions, and has different
.emacs.desktop files in several directories; then starting Emacs from
one of those directories will recreate the particular session
pertinent for that directory (think or a project and its top-level
directory, for example).

> I add a paragraph to do so even with emacs -Q.
> 
> --- efaq-w32.texi	2017-04-15 07:41:13.130868400 +0900
> +++ efaq-w32-b.texi	2017-04-15 13:29:42.148704100 +0900
> @@ -320,6 +320,10 @@
>  @file{addpm.exe}, which is usually installed into the same @file{bin}
>  directory with @file{emacs.exe}.
>  
> +You can change directory to start with by @kbd{C-x C-f}.  Set `Start in'
> +of the shortcut installed in your Start Menu, for example, to
> +environment variable such as @code{%HOME%}.

Once again, this is described in the Emacs User Manual, so any
clarifications and additions should go there.

In general, we should make most of the information be available in the
manuals, rather than in the FAQ.  The FAQ is much less organized than
a manual, because the FAQ is generally a collection of mostly
unrelated howto's and tricks, whereas the manual has a more defined
structure and organization, so it's easier to search and is likely to
have related info near the one you find.

Thanks.