Subject: bug#26504: patch for efaq-w32.texi

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 10:23:23 +0300

> Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 08:42:29 +0900 (JST)
> From: Tak Kunihiro <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> I added a recipe NOT to have the second Emacs.

Thanks.

However, I don't think I understand the rationale for this addition.
The Emacs User Manual already includes a detailed description of how
Emacs can be invoked on MS-Windows, see the node "Windows Startup"
there.  If something is incorrect or unclear there, we should fix it
in the manual, not in the FAQ.

> +Emacs should be launched by @command{runemacs.exe} and referred by
> +@command{emacsclientw.exe}.  When you choose Emacs (to be exact, a
> +shortcut with target @command{C:\emacs-26.1\bin\runemacs.exe}) from
> +Start menu as if a Window app, you may launch another Emacs.  To avoid
> +having double Emacs, change target of the shortcut to
> +@code{C:\emacs-26.1\bin\emacsclientw.exe "" --alternate-editor
> +C:\emacs-26.1\bin\runemacs.exe}.

I'm not sure I understand what this says, but if you are saying that
the desktop icon should invoke emacsclientw instead of runemacs, I
think I disagree.  For starters, it's entirely possible that the user
actually _wants_ to launch "another Emacs"; one situation where this
happens a lot is when you work on developing Emacs and have an older
version used for routine work (including Emacs development).  So I
don't think we should advice users one way or another, we could at
most describe the situation and make users aware of the subtleties, so
that they could do what's right for their use cases.