Subject: Re: bug#26486: 25.1.91; unused var warning from cconv.el can't be suppressed

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 16:48:24 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> LGTM, thank you.

Thanks; applied.

> This said, I suspect that it may fail to correctly
> heed `with-suppressed-warnings`.  More specifically, I think we may want
> to add a "category" argument to `macroexp-warn-and-return` which is then
> matched against `byte-compile-warnings` (either directly inside
> `macroexp-warn-and-return` or within the subsequent handling of
> `macroexp--funcall-if-compiled`).

Right.  Could you fix that?  :-)

> We already discussed the use(ful|less)ness of this empty-body warning,
> and I don't think it's useful enough to justify adding a new warning
> category for it.
>
> When `byte-compile-warnings` is nil, arguably `macroexp-warn-and-return`
> should just silence all warnings.

Right...  but it feels kinda hackish to add the check for just
`byte-compile-warnings' there, since we don't have access to the
category at that point, so I altered the call site instead.  But perhaps
`macroexp-warn-and-return` should just be extended with a category
parameter and then the check moved into the function instead...  I dunno...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no