Subject: Re: bug#2648: 23.0.60; remove C-c ` from rcirc track minor mode

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:38:46 -0400

>> The key sequences bound in a minor mode should consist of `C-c'
>> followed by one of `.,/?`'"[]\|~!#$%^&*()-_+='.  (The other punctuation
>> characters are reserved for major modes.)
> It seems not many packages are consciously following this guideline.

Outside packages, indeed.  Bundled packages follow it a bit more
carefully, tho.

>> So, I think only the C-c ` binding should stay and the others should
>> be removed.
> Then ERC will also have to be changed.

Could very well be.

>> As for the conflict with AUCTeX, I'm not sure what we should do.
>> Maybe use some other key.  Arguably, buffer-local minor modes should
>> take precedence over global minor modes, in which case AUCTeX's C-c `
>> binding would take precedence, but this is a "TODO" feature, so it
>> doesn't help us here.

> One way or another. Given that AUCTeX is one of the major editing
> environments for LaTeX/TeX, it seems entirely unnecessary for a released
> emacs to cause any pain to those users, particularly when this can be
> fixed with minimal changes.

Of course.  The question is what the trivial change will be.

        Stefan