Subject: Re: bug#26459: 26.0.50; loaddefs.el is regenerated after each "git pull"

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 15:44:25 -0700

On 04/13/2017 12:06 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Generating loaddefs.el is fast again;-)

I'm now experiencing failures like the following with 'make -j5' on my 
circa-2012 desktop. They don't always happen so I assume there's a race 
somewhere. Although I don't know whether it's caused by the recent 
change, some loaddefs.el-related dependencies do seem to be missing, and 
perhaps the recent change merely exposed longstanding problems elsewhere.

...

mv -f emacs bootstrap-emacs
make -C ../lisp compile-first EMACS="../src/bootstrap-emacs"
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'compile-first'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make -C ../lisp autoloads EMACS="../src/bootstrap-emacs"
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
   ELC      ../lisp/cus-start.elc
   GEN      net/tramp-loaddefs.el
   ELC      ../lisp/faces.elc
   ELC      ../lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-preloaded.elc
   ELC      ../lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-generic.elc
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
   ELC      ../lisp/files.elc
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
   ELC      ../lisp/frame.elc
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
   ELC      ../lisp/help.elc
Directories for loaddefs: . ./calc ./calendar ./cedet ./cedet/ede 
./cedet/semantic ./cedet/semantic/analyze ./cedet/semantic/bovine 
./cedet/semantic/decorate ./cedet/semantic/symref 
./cedet/semantic/wisent ./cedet/srecode ./emacs-lisp ./emulation ./erc 
./eshell ./gnus ./image ./international ./language ./leim ./leim/ja-dic 
./leim/quail ./mail ./mh-e ./net ./nxml ./org ./play ./progmodes 
./textmodes ./url ./vc
   GEN      loaddefs.el
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make -C ../admin/unidata all EMACS="../../src/bootstrap-emacs"
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/admin/unidata'
   ELC      unidata-gen.elc
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'

In create-file-buffer:
files.el:1768:8:Warning: function create-file-buffer used to take 0+
     arguments, now takes 1
   ELC      ../lisp/mwheel.elc
   GEN      ../../lisp/international/charprop.el
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Entering directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
   ELC      ../lisp/replace.elc
   ELC      ../lisp/scroll-bar.elc
international/uni-bidi.el:0:0: error: file-missing: (Opening input file 
No such file or directory 
/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp/international/uni-bidi.el)
make[2]: *** [Makefile:198: loaddefs.el] Error 255
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:734: ../lisp/loaddefs.el] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp'
Writing 
/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/lisp/international/charprop.el...
make[2]: Leaving directory 
'/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/admin/unidata'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/eggert/src/gnu/emacs/static-checking/src'
make: *** [Makefile:416: src] Error 2

Compilation exited abnormally with code 2 at Thu Apr 13 15:38:42