Subject: bug#2643: 23.0.91; request for enhancement?

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:54:45 +0100

Hello!

OpenOffice can load extension files with the file name  
extension .oxt, which are PKzip files, starting with PK^C^D. Dired- 
mode's y tells:

	FileName.oxt: Zip archive data, at least v2.0 to extract

When I try to view it with v from dired-mode, GNU Emacs displays  
mostly binary data. "Auto-Compression minor mode (no indicator)" is  
reported to be on, though. Hard-linking it to file.zip allows me to  
do all the things an archive-mode buffer allows. It also works with a  
hard-link file.oxt.zip.

In GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, GTK+ Version 2.14.7)
  of 2009-02-28 on localhost
Windowing system distributor `The XFree86 Project, Inc', version  
11.0.40400000
configured using `configure  '--without-sound' '--without-pop' '-- 
with-dbus' '--with-libotf' '--x-includes=/opt/local/include' '--x- 
libraries=/opt/local/lib' '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/ 
Application Support/Emacs/calendar23:/Library/Application Support/ 
Emacs' 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig' 'CFLAGS=-Wno-pointer-sign -H -pipe - 
fPIC -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fast -mpim-altivec -ftree-vectorize - 
foptimize-register-move -freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and- 
partition -fthread-jumps -fpeephole -fno-crossjumping' 'LDFLAGS=- 
dead_strip -multiply_defined suppress -L/opt/local/lib' 'CPPFLAGS=-no- 
cpp-precomp -I/usr/include/openssl -I/sw/include/pango-1.0 -I/sw/lib/ 
fontconfig2/include -I/usr/local/include -I/sw/include''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by date

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   global-auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Windows, c'est un peu comme le beaujolais nouveau: à chaque nouvelle  
cuvée on sait que ce sera dégueulasse, mais on en prend quand même,  
par masochisme.