Subject: bug#26396: 25.1; char-displayable-p on a latin1 tty

From: Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2017 13:00:03 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> We've heard over the
> years from several users who make a point of using non UTF-8 locales,
> and I expect them to have reasons for that.  I wouldn't want us to
> break their configurations.

Debian has an easy line in /etc/default/console-setup.  The default is
now utf8 but there's lots more.  I have it latin1.

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> ... The problem is that other parts of the code
> obey terminal-coding-system instead of what the Linux console can
> actually display.

I think I'd like char-displayable-p to obey terminal-coding-system too
like those parts, since that is the bytes which are sent out.

I imagine making minimal enquiries into the console settings would be
both less thinking needed in emacs and more give the user what setup
they chose.  Doing stuff to change the mode doesn't sound good.