Subject: bug#26396: 25.1; char-displayable-p on a latin1 tty

From: Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 17:22:52 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>
> Ah, I think I see the problem: the console indeed supports that
> character, but since terminal-coding-system is latin-1, it cannot
> encode it, so you see a question mark instead, is that right?

I get the emacs \x1234 escapes.  (I might have preferred question marks
... I'm trying glyphless-char-display fallback slot as thin-space to see
if I like that better.)

I suppose \x suggests the emacs display code knows it can't show
(because can't encode it as you say) but char-displayable-p doesn't
correspond.

> GIO_UNIMAP ...

I'm not familiar with that.  It's what parts of unicode have font glyphs
available is it?  I suppose that'd be a double condition for
char-displayable-p, must be able to encode under term-coding-system, and
on the console in addition can verify there's a glyph.