Subject: bug#26396: 25.1; char-displayable-p on a latin1 tty

From: Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2017 15:16:18 +1000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>   emacs-25.1 -Q -nw
>   C-x RET t latin-1 RET
>   M-: (char-displayable-p #x2022) RET
>
> and the result was nil.

Ah, yes, me too under X and -nw in an xterm.

> How is the above different from what you tried?

Oops sorry not to say, this is linux console tty and LANG=en_AU.iso88591
so that (terminal-coding-system) is iso-latin-1-unix on startup.  It's
the linux fbcon thingie I think, but hope that doesn't make a
difference.  The effect (getting t) seems the same if the term coding is
set by C-x ret t later too like you showed.

> Please step through char-displayable-p, and see what
> doesn't work there in your case.

Ah, it gets to (internal-char-font nil #x2022) = 7, which goes to the
(<= 0 font-glyph) case and is t, not the terminal-coding-system checking
case.  If forced to the latter case it comes out nil as I had hoped.