Subject: bug#26395: 25.1; ses.el git master, inhibit-quit on some cell evaluations

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 11:57:17 +0200

Kevin Ryde <[email-masked]> writes:

> In debian packaged emacs 25.1 but git head ses.el, it seems cell
> evaluations sometimes run with inhibit-quit.  For example, initial entry
>
>     emacs -Q /tmp/foo.ses
>     Ret                           # enter formula
>     inhibit-quit Ret              # the formula
>     =>
>     displays t
>
> I hoped no inhibit-quit while running formulas (and thought there wasn't
> previously), as protection against slow or accidentally infinite forms.
>
> I noticed this in my stock charting program where I communicate with a
> database sub-process by accept-process-input, and that func doesn't run
> under inhibit-quit.  I could with-local-quit and bail out in a sensible
> way, but perhaps there's not meant to be inhibit-quit anyway.

Yes, ses.el binds inhibit-quit all over the place, presumably out of an
overabundance of caution (not wanting to mess up the display).  But it
shouldn't do that while computing the formulas, you'd think.

I've Cc'd the maintainer; perhaps he can weigh in here.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no