Subject: bug#26389: Portable way to enforce error on undefined symbols

From: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 09:06:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2017, Simon Richter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to have a way for libtool fail to link a shared library with
> undefined symbols even on platforms that do support them.
>
> Passing the "-no-undefined" flag only promises that there are no
> undefined symbols, so libtool will actually try to link a Windows DLL,
> however it will not use -Wl,-z,defs on GNU targets.

Successfully enforcing that there are no unresolved symbols at all is 
difficult to accomplish on GNU/Linux.  In my experience, if the 
compiler/linker is told not to allow any unresolved symbols, then 
additional system libraries in non-portable (architecture specific) 
locations need to be specifically applied before all the symbols are 
successfully resolved.  The problem is that there are unresolved 
symbols by default produced by system libraries which are not related 
to the code being built.

Bob
-- 
Bob Friesenhahn
[email-masked], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/