Subject: Re: bug#26387: Issues in IDO/Tramp interaction

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2017 12:11:37 +0200

Clément Pit-Claudel <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi bug-gnu-emacs,

Hi Clément,

> (Not sure if this should go here or tramp-devel)

Tramp maintainers read also this ML :-)

> There are a few compatibility issues between IDO and Tramp:
>
> 1. In IDO, '~' is always interpreted as a local path.  That is, if
> after enabling IDO mode I type C-x C-f /sshx:user@host:~/, then IDO
> immediately removes the /sshx:user@host: prefix.

I cannot say too much about, looks to me like an ido issue. 

> 2. Running M-x shell in a buffer editing a remote file results in a
> prompt saying "Remote shell path: /sshx:user@host:/home/user//bin/bash
> (not found)".  The coorrect prompt would be
> "/sshx:user@host:/bin/bash".

I get "/sudo:root@host:/root//usr/bin/tcsh [Matched]". Does /bin/bash
exist on your remote machine?

And btw, I recommend you to use connection-local variables in order to
avoid this question. See the example in (info "(tramp) Remote processes")

> Cheers,
> Clément.

Best regards, Michael.