Subject: bug#26366: [PATCH] doc: Specify that Guix should be built from within a container.

From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2017 18:29:52 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> * doc/contributing.texi: add '--container' and '--network' options to the
>> 'guix environment guix' command.
>
> [...]
>
>> +course, by using Guix!  The following command starts a new shell within
>> +an isolated container where all the dependencies and appropriate
>> +environment variables are set up to hack on Guix:
>>  
>>  @example
>> -guix environment guix
>> +guix environment --container --network guix
>>  @end example
>
> What’s the rationale?  Was this to address the warnings in your first
> message?

This was both to address the warnings in my first message, and my build
error.  I apologize if my message is (still) not clear, but it is
difficult to reproduce those bugs, since they are state-dependent.

> It’s possible and a good way to silence the warnings you were seeing,
> but it should work fine without it too.

I don't understand why it should work fine.  Guix (or Guile-SSH, for
example) both depend on Guile 2.0 (which is an input).  But let's say
that on my system, Guile 2.2 is installed instead.  I want to build Guix
(or Guile-SSH).  I usually do 'guix environment guix' (or 'guix
environment guile-ssh').  Then, in my opinion, 'guile --version' should
output 2.0, but it outputs 2.2.  Is it supposed to build with the wrong
Guile?  (If I do 'guix environment -C guix', then 'guile --version'
outputs 2.0.)