Subject: bug#26366: Building Guix from within a container

From: Pjotr Prins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 12:57:46 +0000

On Sat, Apr 08, 2017 at 02:38:40PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> These warnings come from Guile 2.0 trying to load Guile 2.2 .go files
> (in 2.2, .go files are ELF files; in 2.0, it’s a custom format.)
> 
> They’re annoying but harmless and just mean that you have a mixture of
> 2.2 and 2.0 files in GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH.

To be honest I think we should get rid of harmless messages - or only
show the first or last one (perhaps state that there are more similar
messages which can be seen in debug mode). I understand that this is a
guile thing, but the same holds for guix with all the warnings we get
when sylinks/files are duplicated in the store. 

Irony is that sometimes we don't get warnings when we need them. Such
as when you specify a substitute-url and if the server does not exist
there is no indication. I have wasted many a time on figuring that
problem out.

It would be nice to have a policy where we do not show all harmless
warnings by default, but only in debug mode, as well as missing
services etc. I am happy to run --debug when I actually face a
problem.

Pj.