Subject: bug#26360: [Emacs-diffs] master a1f93c1: Add missing remappings for Ido mode

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 11:25:23 +0000

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> schrieb am So., 23. Apr. 2017 um
20:00 Uhr:

> >     Add missing remappings for Ido mode
> >     Among others, add a remapping for C-x 4 d, cf. Bug#26360.
>
> This reduces the effect of ido-everywhere to the point where I wonder if
> there's any point keeping it.
>

ido-mode and ido-everywhere are very different: ido-everywhere only changes
the completion function, ido-mode has semantic knowledge about the
commands. For example, C-x 4 f C-d visits the directory in another window;
that is impossible with ido-everywhere. On the other hand, ido-everywhere
works for other commands not explicitly covered as well.

>
> Alternatively, wouldn't it be preferable to not use this patch and
> enable ido-everywhere by default instead?
>

No, as described above, they are very different.

> What are the tradeoffs?

The installed patch solves a concrete problem now. Converging ido-mode and
ido-everywhere (and ido-ubiquitous, ibuffer, iswitchb, ...) is desirable,
but orders of magnitude more work, therefore infeasible.