Subject: bug#26340: 26.0.50; default font not applied

From: "fr.poulet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 10:32:56 +0200

Hello, here is a little problem I have, I don't really
        know how to fix or work around properly in my conf. I am running
        emacs in X11.
        - (optional) using an new empty login account to ensure no
          configuration exists (no .emacs, .emacs.d, X11, fonts or
          whatever)
        - starting emacs
        - selecting a default font in menu: Options/Set Default font...
        - font is correctly applied
        - saving the options in menu: Options/Save Options
        - status bar indicates ~/.emacs is created
        - exiting emacs
        - the file .emacs (included below) is as expected
        - starting emacs again
        - the default font configuration is NOT applied as expected
          (though the X11 window starts large and is resized as if the
          configured font was applied then another default one overloads
          it - just a guess though)
        - doing M-x load-file with .emacs applies the correct font
        - I added a (message "...") in the .emacs file and with the
          --debug-init, I can see the file is correctly loaded, no errors
          mentionned

          The .emacs file :
          (message "yolo")

          (custom-set-variables
           ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
           ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
           ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
           ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
           )
          (custom-set-faces
           ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
           ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
           ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
           ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
           '(default ((t (:family "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono" :foundry "Bits" :slant normal :weight normal :height 120 :width normal)))))

           This problem already exists in the default emacs version in
           my linux distro (Arch Linux, emacs 25.1-4). The version I used
           here was built from git (Arch Linux AUR, emacs-git 26.0.50.128822-1)

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.10)
  of 2017-04-02 built on pc19
Repository revision: a184a7edc58e1e053aa317a0f162df7e225597e1
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11903000
System Description:    Arch Linux

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
  --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
  --with-sound=alsa --with-xft --with-modules --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --without-gconf --with-gsettings 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2 -pipe
  -fstack-protector-strong' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES LIBSYSTEMD

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US
   locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message puny seq byte-opt subr-x gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 96870 7564)
  (symbols 48 20186 1)
  (miscs 40 50 114)
  (strings 32 17653 4543)
  (string-bytes 1 564399)
  (vectors 16 14656)
  (vector-slots 8 483309 4287)
  (floats 8 48 101)
  (intervals 56 284 297)
  (buffers 976 11))

--