Subject: [bug#26339] closing bootloader serie.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:20:30 -0700

Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> That said, I experimented with cross-compiled GuixSD (that is, ‘guix
>> system build --target=foo-linux-gnu’), and I think that’s promising,
>> with the caveat that you have to restrict your package set to those that
>> can actually be cross-compiled.  Should we try to get it off the ground?
>
> That would be really interesting. But to build an arm GuixSD installer
> for example, it would require that are all the packages needed to set-up
> the rootfs of the installer are cross-compilable, right ?

Yes.  So in my experiments I had ‘services’ and ‘packages’ almost empty,
to be sure.

> What's the difference between --system=armhf-linux and
> --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf ?

‘--target’ specifies a cross-compilation triplet, where ‘--system’
specifies the system you want to build on.  Without offloading, your
x86_64 machine can only build for ‘x86_64-linux’ or ‘i686-linux’.

Conversely cross-compilation does not depend on offloading, it’s just
regular cross-compilation.

Does that make sense?

Ludo’.