Subject: [bug#26339] closing bootloader serie.

From: Mathieu Othacehe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:33:36 +0200

> That said, I experimented with cross-compiled GuixSD (that is, ‘guix
> system build --target=foo-linux-gnu’), and I think that’s promising,
> with the caveat that you have to restrict your package set to those that
> can actually be cross-compiled.  Should we try to get it off the ground?

That would be really interesting. But to build an arm GuixSD installer
for example, it would require that are all the packages needed to set-up
the rootfs of the installer are cross-compilable, right ?

Also, something I don't understand here. This does not work (without
armhf offloading machine):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
./pre-inst-env guix system disk-image --file-system-type=iso9660 --system=armhf-linux  gnu/system/boards/beaglebone-black.scm

guix system: error: build failed: a `armhf-linux' is required to build `/gnu/store/pswlzi1bwdzalfidbzf5w96fbdiv3dc1-linux-libre-arm-omap2plus-4.13.8.drv', but I am a `x86_64-linux'
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

but this works :

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
./pre-inst-env guix build  --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf linux-libre-arm-omap2plus

/gnu/store/53lcpmpkbba661h3lrnxms1dfz750gw5-linux-libre-arm-omap2plus-4.13.8
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

What's the difference between --system=armhf-linux and
--target=arm-linux-gnueabihf ? Why guix system do not use the already
cross-compiled kernel and asks me to build it on an armhf machine ?

Thanks,

Mathieu